Hello, readers! Welcome to my final blog post about my summer internship at the Brevard Veterans Memorial Center (BVMC). It's hard to believe that the summer is already over and my time here has come to a close. This week, Eric and I had the opportunity to present our work at the internship showcase. It was a great way to cap off the summer and share all the progress we've made with our 3D digitization project. I am so grateful for the chance to have worked at the BVMC and to have learned so much about museum technology and preservation. Working with Eric has been a fantastic experience, and I'm thankful for his mentorship and for giving me a glimpse into what graduate school life is like. This internship has provided me with invaluable skills, from using high-tech scanners like the Artec Spider to more accessible methods like the KIRI mobile app. I've also gained experience with large-scale scanners at the University of Central Florida , and learned about community-fo...
Hello, readers! Welcome back for my week six update on my summer internship at the Brevard Veterans Memorial Center (BVMC). This week was a little different, as I had a brief training session on 3D scanning with Dr. Giroux at the University of Central Florida. Unfortunately, our time was cut short due to some technical difficulties with the equipment. I also spent some time this week creating a write-up to accompany the 3D models of the trench art we scanned last week. You can read that description below. "The practice of creating trench art is as old as military conflict itself, but it was World War I that truly defined it, giving the pastime its name and, through technological change, its most classic material, the brass cartridge. Later, the mechanized nature of World War II provided soldiers with greater access to the tools and materials needed to produce these items in greater variety and quantity. Servicemembers transformed materials like spent artillery shells, bullets, an...
Hello Readers! This week at the Brevard Veterans Memorial Center (BVMC) has been a busy one, even beyond our usual 3D digitization work. While we continued our efforts to scan more fascinating artifacts, a significant part of my time was dedicated to creating descriptive write-ups for some of the museum's unique pieces. I had the opportunity to research and write about two particularly interesting items. One was the Dr. Lyon's Tooth Powder, which represents an important stage in the evolution of oral hygiene products, predating the widespread use of the softer, paste-like formulations we recognize today. This product was manufactured by the R.L. Watkins Company, a firm founded in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1866 by Dr. J.W. Lyon. While modern consumers are accustomed to toothpaste dispensed from tubes, Dr. Lyon's product was a powder. The shift from powder to paste began to gain traction around 1892, when a dentist in Connecticut adopted the painter's collapsible tube for denta...
Comments
Post a Comment